Monday, September 28, 2009

Hello real world!

So I realize it's been awhile, and a lot has happened, I'm just getting lazier in my old age (22).

Big events: Mayo, Spay, Book, Move, Job.

Went in to Mayo to finish my study. Spent a lot of boring time sitting around and napping, but hopefully that means I'll be getting a nice fat paycheck any day now. Of course they'll send it to Rochester but I'll get it eventually. Still haven't decided what to do with the money, but a desktop is sounding better and better.

So Belle got spayed on Wednesday. Same day as the Mayo study. I felt so bad for her. We (mom and I) went to pick her up after the Mayo study and she was all loopy/dopey. It was kind of funny because her eyes were half-closed and she'd just stand there and then start leaning. On Thursday it was a bit difficult with her because she was all excited and stir crazy but we couldn't really let her run around too much in case her stitches came out.

On Thursday I also finally called the library to ask what to do about the book I lost. And it turns out someone had returned it! Woohoo! I don't even know if I ever talked about it here but yea.

On Friday night Gramma Karen came up. The rest of the family and her went to the homecoming parade and football game while I furiously packed.

As far as my quilt goes, it's nearly complete (the front side at least) but the sewing machine kept messing up and so I had to stop.

Back to the main events, on Saturday we got up and mom, dad, gramma, and I drove up to Minneapolis to move me into my new place. Megan drove over from Eau Claire and met us there right after we had finished loading everything in. My room looks amazing, the house is great, and my roommate is incredibly nice and laid back. We went to McDonald's to eat and then everyone but Megan left. Megan helped me unpack the stuff into my room and then we went to Target for some stuff I needed. Eventually Megan left and I spent the rest of the night finishing organizing.

On Sunday I spent the day riding around the neighborhood clocking how long it takes me to get to the closest grocery store and to the VA. Then Sybylla and her mom took me out to lunch at Noodles and then over to Target to get some milk. Went back home and worked on the paperwork the VA sent me. Eventually took a shower and went to bed watching Firefly.

Finally, today (Monday) I got up at 6:40am (way too early), got ready for work, sat around nervously waiting, and finally left at 7:30am. Got there extremely early and waited. Eventually the room filled up (interns, cafeteria workers, doctors, it was full of new employees from all over the VA) and for the first 2 hours all we did was the paperwork I'd gone over the day before. So I went downstairs and wandered around. Eventually we watched some dress code video and had an hour break for lunch. I didn't pack one so I rode my bike home and had a sandwich, which was nice. Went back to the VA and learned all about the benefits offered. It was intense, and a bit overwhelming. Finished with the orientation stuff around 3pm and then was taken (finally) to the lab. I got assigned a desk space and then spent the rest of the time going over more computer orientation stuff. I did meet the other new lab tech (Amanda) and another one who works at the lab who graduated from St. Olaf in '08 (Alana or Elena or something like that). Got home, hung out for a bit, and then rode my bike over to Oxendale's to get some taco cheese. Rode back home and cooked tacos, mmmm. Now just watching some Family Guy until I shower and get to bed.


1 comment:

Javier Portillo said...

Kitty you are too young to be sayin old age lol... and your first day at work sounds kind of boring...i hope it gets interesting as it goes for ya. i awwed at belle getting spayed...no mini belles :(. you definately do need a new computer tho, it would help ya getting one.