Sunday, March 7, 2010

What's with YOUR attitude, bitch?

I sometimes really really really wish I liked beer. I wish I liked drinking it as much as some of the people I've been hanging out with lately do. I've never wished that before now, but if I drank it would make all the ridiculous outings with these people a hundred times more enjoyable. I'd be easily less bored and probably less pissy every time I go out.

What prompts this topic? Tom's working karaoke at the Cardinal (bar) tonight and a bunch of his friends are there as well. I elected to go in later (it started at 8pm) in order to get some laundry and cleaning done. So I went in around 11pm, sat down at the table with his friends, and proceeded to be completely ignored. I'm shy and self-conscious enough as it is, but having all of my comments go unresponded to just put me in a not-having-fun mood. Then, when a known not-so-good singer went up to the stand, all of Tom's friends went outside. So that left me inside alone. I went up to talk to Tom, since he had a mini-break, and got about two words in before he walked away from me to go talk to a bunch of girls having a bachelorette party. Wtf?

Eventually the rest of the "friends" came back and sat around me at the table and two of them asked one of the bar workers for their tabs. They happened to be the two sitting to either side of me. So the bartender (for lack of a better title) then looks at me and goes, "What's with your attitude?" I was shocked. Yes, I was in a bad mood, but I generally conceal it pretty well. All kinds of potential responses came to mind, everything from accusing the fucker of ignoring me when I was desperately thirsty (for water, but whatever no one even asked when I got in) to trying to laugh it off. What I did was glare at him until he walked away. The thing is, I'm pretty sure I looked at Tom's friends after he said it and it looked like they were agreeing with him. When he walked back with their tabs he then goes "Looks like your attitude's improved already!" I was so incredibly pissed and upset, with no one talking to me other than to insult me for no reason I walked up to Tom and told him I'd pick him up when he was done.

I got in the car, and immediately tears started streaming down my face. That's when I discovered I'm probably more emotional than usual tonight (hormones??? idk) but whatever. There was no way I was staying there, bored, lonely, and having absolutely no fun. I'd rather be home cleaning than sitting there.

I can't help but think this is going to ruin things. I don't know how or why but I have this forbidding feeling that I can't get along with Tom's friends because I don't drink. Basically, I rarely associate with these people while they're not drinking and I can't be as open and uninhibited as they are because I don't drink. And so I look like the stick in the mud who won't have fun with them, just because I have a different definition of what's fun. I'd like to go out and go bowling, or skiing, or go to a movie, or play board games or cards or anything but all they do is drink. Maybe I'm overgeneralizing, but that's all I've experienced.

So now I'm back home, debating on what to do now. What do I say to Tom? Do I apologize or get mad? I want to get mad, but fear that won't help my cause at all.

On other notes, had a busy week last week. We had surgery or behavior to do every day last week except for Friday. On Friday we had a big AALAC inspection, so it was just a busy week at work.

Yesterday I noticed Kaylee was acting funny, like she had no balance. She kept rolling over and walking funny and actually wasn't very well groomed. I played with her for awhile and then totally cleaned out her cage (including hosing/soaping the aquarium), replaced all her food and water, and got her a new box and tunnel. She seems to be looking better today, definitely more groomed and less wobbly, but still a bit unbalanced. According to the internets, she might have an inner ear infection, but I'm hoping it will go away on its own.

Tomorrow I'm going to go skiing by myself. Kind of lame, but I don't have anyone to go with me and I really want to go. Not to mention my parents went to all the work of getting me my skis so I'd better use them! Hopefully they still have snow.

What I wouldn't give for a time machine...

5 comments:

Javier Portillo said...

naw don't say that kitty, you don't have to change who you are just to have "fun" with other people. It's better to stay sober. THEY don't know how to have fun so they intoxicate every inch of their body so they find everything amusing when it's really not....

Liz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

If they can't accept you for who you are... that's their problem. As far as the bartender - that was completely unprofessional of them to make a scene like that.

Cut Tom a little bit of slack - he was working. I wouldn't get defensive about it, just let him know that it hurt your feelings that he didn't at least acknowledge you and leave it at that. I'm sure he just didn't realize that would have such an effect on you - so just let him know gently that you were already upset because you felt you were being ignored by his friends. (It's one of those battles that is better handled diplomatically rather than combatively if you really care about him.

Javier Portillo said...

well said ECL.

Liz said...

Thanks Javier.