Thursday, April 8, 2010

frustration

This won't be a long post, just have to vent a few frustrations.
I suppose I could give a little update as well, for posterity's sake.

On Tuesday, the night that Rachel (Tom's karaoke friend) did karaoke at McMahon's usually a bunch of people (myself and Tom included) went outside McMahon's and just gathered to commiserate and sort of honor those who died there, especially Ryan the bartender. Afterwards we headed to the Cardinal where they let Rachel set up her karaoke stuff (even though she usually just does it there on Saturdays) and everyone (save myself and one other) proceeded to get incredibly intoxicated. Crazy hijinks ensued. It ended up being a very late night and then I had to get up for work early the next day to do 40 mouse cell injection surgeries (the most we'd done previously to Wednesday was 30 and even that was a lot).

So got in to work on Wednesday at 7:30 and did all those surgeries. To be honest we only did 39 because one of the mice we got was waaay too small to do surgery on (the average size was about 24 grams and this guy was only 17.5!). So we didn't do anything to that little guy and I'm considering adopting him (he's so freakin cute and tiny!). Left work a bit early on Wednesday because I was just exhausted (little sleep the night before). Went home and napped and then did a bunch of work on a "schematic" (aka drawing or figure) for work (about 3-4 hours of work).

Today (Thursday) I went to work and Katie and I did some practice surgeries on really old mice. I'm getting better at coring (getting the needle in through the knee into the marrow space in the femur - harder than it looks!). Still not great at plugging the hole with amalgam though (that's the stuff dentists use to fill cavities). After lunch then Joe informed me that all of my work on the schematic was to waste because Pat (boss) wanted a totally different style now. Yep. I wanted to curse a lot but managed to restrain myself. Sigh, so I get to start all over with that little project. I think I'll work on it this weekend if I get motivated - it's really difficult for me to work on it at work because I have to use a computer with no internet and crappy mouse. At home I have the internet (for minor distractions or to look up stuff) and my awesome stylus/tablet thing to draw with.

Tomorrow (Friday), Sybylla and Vicki are meeting me at Arby's for a night of fun. We're going to eat at Arby's, get ice cream at Dairy Queen, and then go see Sherlock Holmes at the Riverview theater. It promises to be a really fun night - I hope that's how it turns out!

That's all - the frustration is for the schematic really. That and some other minor things that just really aren't worth mentioning here.

2 comments:

Javier Portillo said...

dang kat, your boss seems to not know how to do his job. i just went thru 3 hours of washing dishes at mcd's my hands are in major PAIN! :(. Hope i'm not one of those minor frustrations lol D:

Liz said...

I'm sorry your boss did that. It's so insensitive that they couldn't have let you know they may have wanted to go in a different direction a little earlier.

I hope your weekend shapes up to be loads better to compensate.