Monday, July 18, 2011

Catching up again

So I'm going to be flying by the seat of my pants here for some of this but for the rest I'm consulting my calendar and working from there.

I left off (not including SF of course) after getting home from visiting Kristin in Green Bay - holy crud that was awhile ago.

Well the following Friday (May 20) I drove home to Rochester to hang out with Sara and Belle (parents were gone somewhere...) and helped her run the garage sale. We made a killing - I think like $40 each but I don't really remember. Sara abandoned me to run it by myself around 11:30 (I think) and I could hardly close up because the customers just kept coming!

The next weekend (yea okay I'm going to be skipping a lot) I took my second genetics test on Saturday (94%, I'll take it!) and then had to work on Sunday. That was Memorial Day weekend, and Katie and I had to go in and work on Monday as well.

This was around the time that work started getting terrible - working at all hours, weekends and late evenings, and getting absolutely NO appreciation or gratitude or even recognition for how above-and-beyond we were going. Ugh... can't really get into it though, it's kind of still going on but not nearly as bad as it was.

I got nothing now until SF. Although I didn't talk about Wednesday June 8, which is when I worked a half day (starting at 6:30 am) until I hopped on the Lightrail to the airport. Waited there, ate Burger King, then got on my flight to SF. I slept and read the whole time, as well as staring out the window at the snow-capped Rockies (took some pics on my phone). Once I arrived I took the BART (Bay Area Regional Transit?) to downtown SF where I met up with Jackie. I'm pretty sure we just headed to her place and chilled that night, but I don't really remember.

After I got back I turned up my apartment searching and went and saw probably 6 or 7 places. I started with one off Lake street by the Target, and it turns out that my first was the best! There were some in better areas, but small or with funny smells, or others that were nicer and bigger but just too far away or too pricey, so eventually I just bit the bullet and signed a lease starting September 1. I'm really excited about it, and will get back to this excitement after I finish catching up!

On Wednesday June 22nd I went to a Bootcamp class at Anytime fitness. It was intense, and I was dead by the end of it. Other than that however, my working out has pretty much come to a complete halt. I was all into it for awhile but now... it's just hard to get back into it. Even now I'm thinking I should go work out tonight but I feel too full from dinner and it's ridiculously hot out... but I digress...

On Saturday the 25th I went with Nathan to one of his friend's wedding reception downtown at the Millenium hotel. It was fancy - delicious dinner, but not really that thrilling. I did get a rubber ducky out of the deal though (it looks like a monkey!).

On Monday I took the day off from work and Vicki, Sybylla, and I went to Valleyfair! It was a bit cloudy/stormy looking which meant that all the lines were really short! We rode tons of rides, then headed out to my car to grab some lunch, then back in and rode the antique car ride (lame but fun) and then I noticed my keys/wallet were missing! I freaked, ran out and checked at my car and checked with the lost and found and no luck. I thought I might have locked it into my trunk but I wasn't sure. We decided to just keep enjoying the day there and try not to worry about it (easier for them than me). We went and watched the IMAX show, and then I ran back to the lost and found to see if there was any news and lo and behold! Someone had turned it in to a park employee. I was SOOO happy! Anyway, a day of fun was had by all. I came home with a picture of the 3 of us being goofy on the Wild Thing (Sybylla got a matching keychain).

On Tuesday June 28th my family all came up after work and we all went to a Twins game together to celebrate Fathers Day (it wasn't that day but it was our present to dad). We also celebrated our parent's anniversary which was that day. We ate tons of good food and watched the Twins beat the LA Dodgers. It was a fun game.

The weekend of the 4th of July I did very little, other than hanging out at Nathan's and eating hot dogs and marshmallows/smores around a fire at his place. The following weekend I also did very little other than going through my room and super cleaning it. I did go out with some friends on Friday night to Hudson, WI. Otherwise it was all really intense cleaning and packing up things I wouldn't be using for the next 2 months.

On Tuesday the 12th, Sybylla and I went to see Thor for a second time at the Riverview (we saw it together once in real theaters). It was good. Then on Thursday the 14th I played kickball (as I did most every Thursday) and we were short (only 5 girls and 5 guys so we all played the whole game) and we kicked ass - I scored 2 runs. Afterward I ran home, showered, changed, and took Sybylla to the Mall of America where we got in line to see Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in 3D for the midnight showing. The line was long and there were some crazy characters waiting with us but it was a great time. We got sweet HP 3D glasses and enjoyed some popcorn and just had a fun movie experience. Once I started crying I'm not sure I stopped (at one point Sybylla looked over and asked if I was crying - I was and my response was "shut up *sniffle*"). Got home around 3am and headed to bed, but couldn't sleep because I kept going over the movie in my head. It was pretty good for a movie, but there were some extra unnecessary corny parts and it didn't follow the book as well as the first part did.

Woke up on Friday ~10:45am. Got up, got ready, and drove down to Rochester in a complete downpour for the majority of the drive. And some crazy people were driving without their lights on, making them nearly impossible to see until you were right on top of them. Made it home, and walked in to a house completely empty except for Belle. She was so excited to see me she had a little piddle accident on the floor. Called my mom and she told me to drive the Jeep down to the Charter house (where she works) because they were having a garage sale and there was some great stuff down there I should look at (for my new apartment). I drove it down there (again more pouring rain), parked, and got soaked walking the block over to the building. When I got there she showed me this great loveseat with a pull out twin size bed in it! I loved it, so we put it on the list of things to buy and kept looking. I also found a nice dining table with 2 chairs and a wooden cart (extra counter space) and my sister found a dresser and we got it all for just $20. We fit all of it but the couch into the Jeep and drove home and my dad found a friend with a van and went and picked up the couch. When we got home the rain finally slowed down and ended so mom and I took Belle out to the park. There were giant puddles of water and a field was flooded so we played fetch with her there and she had a blast running through the water. Friday night we went out to eat at Mr. Pizza (so good) and then home to watch TV. Sara's friend Emily came over and those two made 2 kinds of cookies and a cake - they were baking until 1am.

On Saturday I got up, ate some toast, and then mom and I moved the couch outside and scrubbed it down with soapy water and the scrub brushes we use to wash cars. We scrubbed it with soap, then water, then sucked off the water with a shop vac and set it in the driveway to dry in the sun. Then I went inside and washed the chairs, cart, and table. Filthy water by the end of it but I felt good for doing it. Finally it was time to do what I originally came down to Rochester to do: help dad get fishing stuff ready for my trip to Canada. We went through tons of fishing stuff and got very organized. Eventually I had to go so I drove back up to the Cities.

On Sunday I had to work, so I got up and went in ~9am. I got there and a maintenance guy walked up to me and started telling me about how the temperature warning went off in an animal room in the barrier (he couldn't go in) and if I could check and see if there were animals in there. Of course there were so I ended up having to move all these rats to another room and that ordeal took about 45 minutes. Sigh, then I had to do behavior by myself on a group of 24 animals and then X-ray them all... it was a long day for being a weekend work day. Later I actually started doing some genetics homework a week and a half early! But I didn't finish it so... not that great.

Today I went in to work, did DWB all morning as well as getting stuff ready to ship down to our sister lab in AZ, ate lunch, shipped the package, analyzed the DWB all afternoon, and then had to dose mice with their treatments. Because we have such a huge group (24 animals) and my coworker was in Milwaukee today, I didn't get out until 5:45pm. So another long day. Got home, and I was feeling way too lazy, so instead of eating the leftover tacos (that I made this weekend) or leftover noodles and marinara (also made this weekend) I decided to order Dominos. I watched TV and ate pizza and did absolutely nothing else (other than writing in this for the past few hours).

There are probably a bunch of things I've forgotten to mention, emotional ups and downs, etc and so on but hey if I don't remember it it probably wasn't that important right?

So now I'm all caught up but will I do it again? Only time will tell!

No comments: