Saturday, February 18, 2012

Cancun and Xel Ha

So I drove home (Rochester) on Thursday after leaving Addy with Nathan and Luna & Evaine with Vicki. Hung out with my parents, watched them procrastinate packing, and hanging out with Belle.

On Friday I took Belle on a 2 hour walk - to the dog park and back. She had a blast but it was freezing in the wind and the next few days my legs were in pain. That night Megan came home as well and we hung out.

Saturday I only played fetch with Belle, but she still got a bit wiped out. Megan and I had a lazy day, until we went to Target and got matching dresses (we're nerds/I couldn't find a good color).

Sunday both Megan and I went on a walk/fetch with Belle, then came back up to Minneapolis where we picked up Sara and all hung out at my apartment until late. Went to bed, and Megan woke me up twice during the night talking in her sleep. The second time I woke her up asking her why the poop she was talking to me at 2:36 am.

We woke up at 3am, Sara drove us to the train station, and Megan and I caught the train to the airport. Had to wait for what seemed ages for the AirTran people to finally show up to work (4:30ish), then waited at the gate for our plane. Had a long day of hanging in airports, riding planes, standing in lines, and waiting for people to show up so our shuttle to the resort could go. Met up with mom and dad at the resort, dropped our stuff at our room, and went on a tour of the Grand Mayan (huge!). Ate dinner at one of the restaurants (I had fish tacos), then hung out poolside until bedtime.

On Tuesday we got up with the sun and tried to catch a sunrise over the water. Unfortunately it was really cloudy so it wasn't very impressive. Went and napped next to the big pool by the ocean for a bit, then transferred to these cool chairs with head shades next to the sand pool. Read books and just hung out there for a bit, until we decided to get margaritas (happy hour). Then we broke out the cards and played 13 rounds of golf (card game) while enjoying margarita after margarita. By the end, mom and I were pretty smashed. It hit Megan later and I still don't really know how far gone dad got. We packed our stuff up and stumbled back to the rooms where we made sandwiches and dropped off mom. Then, when it finally hit Megan, dad took the two of us on a walk to see the flamingos and the crocodiles. Back to the rooms for a nap, then got up and went out to dinner again - different restaurant. Enjoyed the live music, bought some hand painted souvenir tiles, and then headed to bed.

Wednesday was an exciting day at Xel Ha eco park. The all inclusive park was a blast - we ate too much food, went snorkeling, tubing through mangroves, cliff jumping into the ocean, saw dolphins and manatees in captivity and iguanas, coatis, stingrays, birds, and fish in the wild, rode the zip lines, hiking through jungles, snorkeling in underwater caves (cenotes?) and overall having a great day.

Thursday was a slow sad last day, we basically spent the morning reading poolside, ate leftover pizza and sandwiches, and then packed up and headed to the airport. Long day in airports and airplanes, then back home in Minneapolis.

So this update, especially for a vacation one, was pathetically low on details, but I'm kind of tired and not really in the mood to go all out. Sorry for that. Either way, the majority of the story is told in the 637 pictures I took on the trip - about half of which are posted on Facebook.

Adios mis amigos.

No comments: