Saturday, June 20, 2009

ugh feet

I worked from 2-11:15 at Culvers today. On my feet the whole time except for a 30 minute break - 5 minutes of which was spent waiting in line to order some dinner. But since I'm still awake and I recently found something that I forgot to post previously, I'm here updating. I should be packing or sleeping, but oh well. At least I can sleep in tomorrow - at least as late as Belle lets me.

What I found was the pages in the mini notebook in which I wrote random stuff on Monday morning while waiting for the guy who was supposed to interview me show up. Here it is, no editing:

6/8
I'm such an idiot! I put extra resumes and those papers in a folder to bring to read while i waited here and somehow managed to leave them at home. How do I do this? I even left the notebook I specifically cleaned out to take notes here. So I went to the little gift shop and bought this tiny flip notebook for 89 cents. I also forgot to check my email this morning so as far as I know they could have cancelled or changed the time or location or anything! I'm early though so I'll just have to be patient and see. I wish I had read those papers more thoroughly! I guess I can always claim that I read them 3 weeks ago when I first got them. Still, even if that were true I should have reviewed them before this interview. I need a job! And I can do this, I just need the chance. It would be nice to get an apartment too; live away from home and all. I wouldn't even need a car: the VA is right on the light rail. Assuming of course that I lived near the light rail. I should have called or emailed to confirm the time and place. At least they never asked me those stupid behavior questions like they did at Mayo. I suck at those. Which is probably why I didn't get hired there. I wish I could just skip this part. I'm a nice person and I can get along with everyone (unless they're ignorant or intolerant). My stomach is getting queasy. I actually ate breakfast today. Got up at 6:30 - after going to bed at 12:30. Mom stayed up with Belle, and she let her cry herself to sleep. It was kind of heartbreaking. People keep walking through, but none come up to me. It's 8:54, so I've been here for almost 10 minutes. Still no one. But it wasn't scheduled until 9 so I need to just be patient. The anticipation is worse than the actual interview. Like riding a roller coaster, the worst part is when you're just getting to the top. I think the longer I sit here the more knotted up my stomach gets. And I'm running out of clever things to say. Great, now my colon is acting up. And there's no time left for me to run to the toilet - I said no editing, now I wish I hadn't - it's 9am now. Hopefully they show soon. If no one is here by 9:10 I'm going to try to call them. Too bad I left the number at home. I wonder if it would be better to try to ask for the number at information or to call home and try to get my mom to find it. I'm starting to get really nervous. They shouldn't be late, it's just rude. But maybe they changed the date/time/location which would make me the late one. I just heard someone say "Oh, there she is" and I got excited, but they weren't talking about me. I'ts 9:04. Maybe I should try to call now, since it might take awhile. No, patience Kat. They'll come. What a stupid place to do an interview. Who holds interviews in a lobby? I suppose the informality works in my favor though. Although no one likes tardiness. Crap. It's 9:07. Wait or call? Maybe I'll just wait. I can do this. No problem. I'm going to wander over to the directory - perhaps the number is listed there. 1351. That's the number. The old lady at the information desk sucks and couldn't help me at all, but I called home and mom checked my email and got the number for me. Called it and the guy who answered said he'd send him down. I hope he comes soon and apologizes! I've been a nervous wreck waiting here for the past 40 minutes (9:22 now). I wish I knew how long it takes to get from there to here. Wherever there is. Could be at the U for all I know. I wish I could just fly off. Just put the extension in my phone. Now I'll

And that's how it ends folks. Apparently that was when the guy finally showed up. And I told you all about the rest of that fun little day.

Since the last time I blogged nothing has happened. Sad, but true. Well not entirely I suppose. I played racquetball with Megan once and we each won one game. Last night I reconnected with someone after a long time, which was nice. And today I worked for 9 hours. Yaaay. Now I have tomorrow to finish packing and then heading over to the airport shuttle at 6am to catch my flight. Hooray! Maybe I'll post another quickie tomorrow, but probably not. I plan to bring the little flippy notebook that I bought at the VA for a journal for this trip, so hopefully I'll have some interesting material for next time. Hope you enjoyed my little rant!

PS - Still haven't heard back from the VA since Monday and the whole "continue the hiring process" bit. Sigh.

1 comment:

Javier Portillo said...

wow, that guy that made u wait is a total idiot, D: he should be fired.