Thursday, May 10, 2012

My life is about to get hectic

The title is true, and I may have bitten off more than I can chew (and I'm a poet! did you know it? :P)

First I'll give a quick update on my goings on lately and then I'll get to the title topic.

You know, I haven't really done a whole lot, which is kind of sad. This past weekend I went to the Festival of Nations in Saint Paul. It was pretty cool - lots of cheap food, interesting market area, and a bunch of native dances from places all over the world (we saw Turkish, Palestinian, Japanese, and Scottish). We took the bus there and back and on the way there we got on our transfer bus only to see that the bus driver was AWOL (he eventually showed up). The way back was even more exciting as we had to run through the rain to get to the stop and then at one point part of the side of the bus opened up (like a flap for the storage area underneath?) and the bus driver had to go out and fix it (or it could've taken someone out!).

I also went and saw The Avengers with Nathan, Chris, and their friends Rob & Alex. It was a really excellent movie and if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it. Afterwards we went to Noodles for food, and then back to Nathan's where we all (plus another guy who showed up later) played the Game of Thrones board game. It was slightly confusing and I did not do so well but it was pretty fun. I played as the Lannisters and was immediately in battle with the Greyjoys. Cool story huh? Probably makes more sense if you've seen the show or read the books.

Monday night I got a phone call from Megan and we talked about her situation in Madison. We had some serious sisterly bonding time for a few hours, when we finally called it quits (around midnight).

On Tuesday I ate lunch with Sara who drove up here to take her last final. We ate at Noodles (again, I know) and just talked. She's flying to Venezuela on Sunday morning so it was my last chance to catch up before she's out of the country (for ~7 weeks I think, 6 in Venezuela and then another week in Peru with mom, gramma, and aunt). Tuesday night I met up with Vicki and Sybylla and we went to Merlin's Rest Pub. It's about 3 blocks away from my house and is supposedly an authentic British pub. I had the "world famous" fish and chips, and frankly was not impressed. When fish comes out and the fillets are all the exact same size and shape, it just doesn't bode well for how they taste. To top it all off, midway through our meal this really weird live music started. Banging sticks, weird lyrics, almost folksy but not. Apparently they were Finnish, if that means anything. It was really loud and not very enjoyable, but now I know!

Wednesday was my WW meeting and it went really well. The previous week I had actually gone up (gained weight, sadface) but this week I dropped all that I had gained the previous week and then some, so that was really awesome for me.

Today I have a lot of work to get done, but unfortunately a lot of it is timed so its hurry up and wait (which is why I'm updating this now). I'll probably be here until 6pm tonight at least, so I don't feel too bad about taking a break to type this up.

And back to the title of my post - it's really not all that crazy but I finally signed up for classes and am starting to freak out a little. Basically I have the GRE on June 2, then my online Statistics course starts June 15. I'm hoping to do that one over the summer, but unfortunately it's an extended term course (like Genetics was) so I have until March 2013 to finish it. I just hope I don't procrastinate, especially because once the fall starts I'm taking Physiology at the U of MN as well as Microbiology at Saint Paul College. Then next spring I'll be taking Chemistry II and Physics II at the U. On top of all of this I'm also starting volunteering at Como Zoo in June and hoping to start volunteering/shadowing a vet ASAP. So I'm a bit nervous that it's going to be too much (because of course I'm still working full time as well) but we'll just have to see how it goes!

No comments: