Friday, November 20, 2009

Karma

So I should probably pick up where I left off, but I don't really remember much of what happened that weekend. I know I headed out of the reception early to go let Belle out, but that's about it.

On Wednesday it was Veterans Day, which meant the majority of the VA was empty. We decided to work because 1. we had/have experiments running and 2. now we can take the day after Thanksgiving off. Okay now I need to add some background here: not sure how much I actually talked about orientation when it happened but Amanda and I sort of bonded with this guy named Tom during orientation - we were about the same age and just hung out there. Afterwards Tom and I talked, texted, exchanged books, etc. So after work on Wednesday Tom came over and we watched a few episodes of Firefly before heading over to the Riverview Theater to see District 9 (awesome movie). And yes, it was a date, don't die of shock!

On Thursday Sara came up after work and her, Tom, and I went to eat dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe, then went to see The Men Who Stare at Goats (funny, and weird). Sara tried to convince us to go to a club but since Tom and I had to work we nixed that idea.

Then on Friday Sara spent the day touring at the U with Amber (from Megan's grade) while I was at work. Afterwards, Tom came over again and he and Sara made pancakes and ramen. Spent awhile just hanging out and watching Sara pick out what clothes to wear and then headed over to the VA to catch the train downtown (we had promised Sara we'd take her to a club on Friday). So we wandered around downtown searching for any 18+ club and finally found one called Karma. Paid the cover, went in, finally convinced Sara to ask a guy to dance, and then watched/supervised. Not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure Sara had fun. The club was full of Asians (random) and really loud music. The guy Sara danced with was decent, although he did force Tom and I to join them on the dance floor. That was embarassing... Eventually we headed back home, and met an interesting drunk/stoned character on the train. He was harmless but fairly entertaining.

Saturday morning Sara left before I even woke up (luckily she left me a note - I was out!). **Mice are done running so I'll continue this saga later... hopefully... **

See sometimes I do actually come back to things! So where was I... ah yes. Saturday was pretty low key from what I recall. Went to the Cardinal Bar to hang out with Tom and a bunch of his friends (was a birthday party of sorts - complete with drinking and karaoke).

Don't really remember what happened on Sunday - was even more boring than Saturday probably.

Monday I worked, and Pat (boss) was back from AZ to make our lives a bit more difficult. On Wednesday we were halfway through dissections when he told us to stop and start a whole new behavioral testing method on them that we had never done before, never even done any background research on, and didn't have the equipment for. And we still had to finish the dissections afterwards. Needless to say, I got out late that day. And it sucked because Tom invited me up to his place because his roommate was making dinner (it was good too). Yesterday (Thursday) Pat ticked us all off. He basically told us to report to one of the people in the lab who doesn't really like to train us properly until it's absolutely necessary, works a weird schedule that no one else is sure about, and is fairly antisocial. And then he claimed Alaina (the only one who was actually helping train us and teaching Amanda and I the ropes) hasn't been working hard enough. WTF. Sigh. Frustration.

Today was pretty nice, but a bit boring. It was just me, Alaina, and Joe in the lab - Amanda was closing on her house today and Katie is on her way to Costa Rica. So a nice laid back day - I researched some dentists and doctors that are in my health insurance network. Will have to do that soon... it's weird being a grown-up. Later tonight Tom and I are going to Jordan's brother's band's show. That wasn't confusing at all. Oh well. For now I'm just chilling out waiting for Jordan to call.

No comments: