Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kah-thunk

This morning started out normally, at least as normal as it's been the past week. I woke up at the catsitting house at 8:40 am and was in the van on the way home (to take Megan to work) by 8:47. Picked up Megan at home and then started driving her to work. We got about halfway there and then the van made a big "kah-thunk" noise, it sounded like we drove over something big but there was nothing in the road and I actually felt the thunk through the accelerator ... not good. So we had to stop at a red light, and nothing else happened right away so we carried on. Got about 2/3 of the way there when it made the noise/vibration again and this time we pulled over right away. That turned out to be a good move because shortly after the engine died and wouldnt start up again. So there we were, stranded on the side of the road. Luckily Megan had her cell (mine had died last night) so we called dad (who didn't pick up) and then called mom (who was busy with a patient). So we waited around, tried dad's office phone to no avail, and then finally we decided to start walking to the RAC (which is where Megan works). A few minutes after we started, dad finally called us back. He had been in a meeting and was going to go straight to the RAC to pick me up. We got most of the way there by the time dad got to us, Megan got a lift the rest of the way to work and then dad and I went back to the van where he assessed the damage (yep, it was dead) and then called for a tow. After the van was towed off, dad drove me back home where I changed for work and then he dropped me off at work (30 minutes early but he couldn't take any more time off).

So that was fun. As Megan kept putting it, the van kah-thunked, kah-thunked, and kah-died.

After work, I hitched a ride home with mom and read The Black Gryphon by Mercedes Lackey (one of my Christmas presents from Syb). Took a nice shower/bath and then I'm not really sure where the time went. What I do know is that I was pretty sure the lady who owns the cat I've been watching was getting home today, and its 10:23 pm and she's still not back. So I'm starting to think she's not coming back until tomorrow.

I'm at the cat house at the moment (which is how I know she's not back yet). Earlier I called the guy I was supposed to puppysit for tomorrow and he changed his mind and no longer wants me to puppysit (sad day). And I'm also supposed to dogsit this weekend for the lady with the two dogs and I don't know when she's leaving either. Sigh, I really need better communication skills.

Oh and I found out I'm going to be about $1000 short for tuition this semester, and thanks to all the recent and expensive tragedies in our family lately I'm guessing the parents aren't going to be able to help me out with it. Oh and that's assuming I completely empty out all of my bank accounts. It will be sad to have no money and no job.

Well right now I'm just updating this while watching Treasure Planet, not quite Planet Earth but it's one of the few movies on my computer so I can't be picky.

I love Dr. Doppler in this movie - his word mix-ups are so hilarious. "Well I have a lot of help to offer anatomically... amenimonically... as-astronomically *facepalm*" Good movie.

Well I really have little else to say so I'll end it here.

No comments: