Monday, April 6, 2009

President's Ball



P-Ball.  The one formal dance Gustavus has every spring, that isn't actually held at Gustavus.  Not sure why it isn't, I'd think we have plenty of places for it, but that is besides the point.

I was convinced to attend this year.  I figure, it is my senior year and I probably won't have too many more opportunities like this again so I went with some of my friends.  

I guess I should go back and describe the rest of my week but I just didn't really do a whole lot.  Most of the week was spent going to classes and work and then mindlessly playing the Sims or rereading the Twilight saga.  

So on Friday (April 3) Sybylla painted my finger- and toenails with nail polish that freakishly matches my dress.  That night was also spent watching Iron Man and making a McDonald's/gas run.  

Saturday I got up, showered, and let Sybylla do my hair.  She did a bun in the back and then left two long chunks of hair in the front which I later attempted to curl with Sarah's curling iron.  That didn't work too well, mostly due to the fact that Sarah's curling iron is what she uses to straighten her hair, ie it's very fat and doesn't make curls well.  That and I'm not exactly an expert.  Far from it really.  Got some directions printed out, called Vicki to make sure she knew what time we (Sybylla and I) were coming to pick her up, packed up my camera and phone and some sturdier shoes in case of snow and hopped in the car.  

Went to pick up Vicki and then we headed up to the Cities, to the Nicollet Island Pavilion.  Once we got there we met up with Catie and Tamoko (foreign exchange student) and then waited for Sarah, Hannah, and Ryan to join us.  Once we got settled at a table, Anna showed up and sat at the spare seat at the table.  Dinner was delicious, but on the smaller side of things.  I had the vegetarian meal which was just a nice pasta primavera.  Vicki had the turkey, with mashed potatoes and vegies (I ate her potatoes... yum) and Syb had the roast beef.  After the dinner, there was the most divine cheesecake I've tasted in ages.  It was marvelous.  

Then the waiters cleared away some of the tables to reveal the dance floor and the band came on stage.  We went to check our coats and stuffs, which was a problem for some.  Where do you stash a ticket when you have no pockets?!  I ended up holding onto mine all night, along with my camera.  The band played music from the 50s-80s, so most were old but generally recognizable.  Whenever the band took a break, a DJ played very recent music.  We just danced in our big group of 8 and sometimes broke into smaller groups.  It was just fun, dancing with occasional breaks for water.

At the end of the night, we decided to head out a bit early (~15 minutes) just to beat the car rush.  It was around then that I realized that I only printed out directions for how to get there but not for how to get back.   Since there are a lot of one-ways downtown, that made it a bit of a challenge.  But we made it eventually.  Once we got out of the Cities, the rain turned into snow.  And then really thick snow.  

On the drive we decided to stop for some fast food, since the meal was not exactly filling earlier.  So we first stopped at Taco Bell for Syb and I and then at McD's for Vicki.  It was amazing because, even though I was driving, eating tacos,  and in a very nice dress, I managed to not spill any on myself.  Yet if I'm sitting at home at a table covered in napkins and eating toast I will manage to somehow stain whatever I'm wearing.  How does that work?

Anyway I'll close this off, there's really no awesome story to this, just sharing how my night went.  

2 comments:

Javier Portillo said...

that pball looked n sounded like alot of fun...i've never gone to a ball or anything similar, and you looked beautiful like always. n here i am lol bored outta my mind now kinda jealous of u. wish i could hang out with my ol school buddies n just laugh n do stuff together.

Liz said...

Kat,

You looked lovely - glad you had a great time!

Loving that color!