Thursday, May 7, 2009

Phase One, Complete

So this week and next week are my crazy weeks, leading up to finals of course. This week I had a presentation on Wednesday and a rough draft of my paper due today (Thursday). Next week my final paper is due along with me having an interview in the cities at 9am on Friday.

The presentation was... difficult. The actual presentation itself went fine but the preparation for it was painful. My partner finally got around to reading all of the papers I found, but I ended up making the entire power point myself. The first time we met to talk about the presentation was on Monday night, that's right, two nights before we were due to present. So we met up and split up the slides (for who would talk about which during the presentation). Parted ways and practiced separately, until the next night when we had decided to meet to go over it a couple of times together, just to make sure it flowed and the timing was alright. Tuesday afternoon she sends me an email saying "sorry but I can't get together tonight - keep in mind that we're presenting the next day - but I have an interview and I need to practice for that." Now I know that interviews are incredibly important, but we had never even gone over the presentation together and she wanted to just "wing it" when we were being graded for it. I quickly replied with a "no, we're meeting" and so we ended up going over it together. But then she had to ask me what her slides were about and what those papers were trying to say. So, basically, I did the whole damn thing myself and all she did was parrot what I told her to say. Maybe I'm being harsh, but seriously. But the talk did go well in class, at least I'm fairly certain the prof liked it (we referenced some of his friends) and that's all that really matters.

So since I had been putting all of my time and effort into that project, I hadn't even started my paper until Wednesday evening. Which means I had a long Wednesday night going through all my sources and notes and attempting to write a semi-cohesive paper/outline. It actually isn't that bad, it will definitely be long enough and may even go over the page length requirement.

Backtracking a bit, I went home this past weekend! Mostly because I wanted to pick up some of my artworks to submit for consideration in the Art Minor Show. Which I did. Anyway, I went home on Friday (thanks to my cousin, aunt, and uncle) and spent the evening doing NOTHING! But I did get to watch Dollhouse on an actual TV, which was nice. There was a lot of TV watching over the weekend, including finishing The L Word series. It was my youngest sister's prom on Saturday, so she was busy all weekend (and so was my mom) and my dad did a lot of hunting/golf playing/softball playing so there was a lot of alone-at-home time for me. I baked cookies on Saturday afternoon, and burned my arm in the process. But they were/are delicious. I still have 2 left here, which is probably more than what's left at home. I also got my drawing of Jazzy framed, and it looks very nice. That was one of the 5 pieces I brought back to GAC for submission in the show. Came back to Gustavus on Sunday, again thanks to my cousin and aunt and uncle.

On Tuesday I brought in 6 pieces of art: drawing of Jazzy, Wicked watercolor, necklace watercolor, GAC sweatshirt oil painting, flash sign, and my acrylic painting of the person/lioness. Of all of them, I mostly wanted my drawing to get in. But nope, the woman there said it was a well-done study, but "not very artistic." I sort of wanted to explain to her that realism is just as artistic as that ridiculous abstract shit that I saw other people bringing in, but I kept my mouth shut. She ended up choosing the flash sign, the necklace watercolor, and the GAC sweatshirt painting. Also, my Interactive Media prof made a DVD including my flash animation which was destined to play on the TV in the show, so overall I have 4 pieces that made it. It's a decent number, but they aren't the pieces I desperately wanted to show. Oh well. I have pictures of them hanging in the show (which opened tonight at 5pm) taken by my wonderful roommate that I will hopefully add here once I find the cord that connects my camera to my computer. Hopefully I didn't leave it at home... that would suck.

Interviews! I got emailed from two jobs in two days about wanting me to come in for an interview. The first is from a veteran's research lab in the cities but the second is from Mayo. I hope I get the job at Mayo, then I can live at home for free and just work on making money instead of also spending it.

Finally, I got another forwarded email with puppy pictures! I don't know which one is Belle, but I'll put up the pictures anyway as my final statement for this post. So cute!


1 comment:

Javier Portillo said...

cute puppies. and ur week sounds hectic. mines dull and boring heh...i got no1 to talk to so basically its just me and myself here...makes ur week sound like a vacation