Sunday, May 17, 2009

sleep is a good thing

So the week went by, finished my paper for Women in the Holocaust and got ready to present on Thursday but never ended up getting to. Just means I'll have to on Tuesday now. On Wednesday night my computer monitor started just randomly going black. It would fix itself when I just turned off the monitor and turned it back on, but then it just kept staying black longer and longer and going black sooner. So I called Dell and the idiot didn't listen to me, but eventually he decided to send a new LCD screen and motherboard to a tech. Who is going to call me on my cell on Monday to set up a time to fix it. This becomes a problem...

Later on Thursday my mom came over and saw the art minor show and loaded up the bug with my crap.

Friday I woke up at 6:30 am and got ready for my interviews. Mom came around 7am to pick me up and we headed up to the cities for the first one (at VA Medical Center). Got a little confused about where to meet them but I ended up having the interview in the visitor's entrance lobby (awkward). Basically their lab works with bone pain and bone cancer pain. So they break mice legs and give mice bone cancer and monitor how much pain behavior they exhibit. I just kept thinking... evil. That's evil! I mean, I get that people feel pain and that's what they're working to cure or alleviate but... evil! Not sure I could handle working there...

Then we drove to Rochester and I hung out at home for a few hours before going to my interview at Mayo. I think that interview went fine, although I never really did learn what their lab is doing (other than working with guinea pigs). And both labs are associated with neurobiology (which is the bio class in which I got the lowest grade... sad). After the interview I stopped in at the lab where I worked last summer and said hi to people there. They got all excited that I might be working in a lab again. I mostly just want to find a job that at least is somewhat related to my major. And it would be a bonus if it was in Rochester. After that I went home and chilled with my sisters. Actually that's a lie, I went home and was put to work working on the garage sale. I had to delete personal info off an old computer, haul tons of crap out to the garage, and go through all the stuff in my closet to get rid of stuff. Then we had to set up the stuff in the garage and price everything. In the middle Megan and I took a break and watched Prince Caspian. That was fun. All in all, we were working out in the garage until about 2am. And then we came in and watched Ocean's 13. Which meant we were up until around 4am. And then we slept in the living room, where I nicely gave my sisters the couches and I attempted to sleep on the reclining chair. Not comfortable at all! My lower back was killing me when I woke up at 6:15 am...

That's right, I woke up at 6:15am on Saturday morning because my mother insisted that we be ready for customers at 7am. So we were. And it was freezing cold and windy and only one person came before 8am. Which meant that we were awake an hour early for no reason (because he didn't even buy anything!). So we spent the morning in the freezing cold attempting to get other people to buy our unwanted junk. In the midst of that, our neighbor from across the street (who is moving) came over and bought some of our old toys. He then mentioned that he might be selling his car - for very cheap if we were to buy it. My sister only wants to buy a Jeep though and I have no money, but it would be absolutely amazing to have a car for next year. Especially since I have no other plans, having a car might help me find a job. Or maybe I just want a car. Either way...

So around noon my dad came home from the RAC and we headed back to GAC. Got here (finally) and ate some lunch at the Caf, found out from my sisters that we each made $47 from the sale (not bad!). Then my dad dropped me off at Prairie View, I got inside to my door and realized my phone wasn't in my pocket. So I threw my shit inside my room and ran to try to catch my dad. I knew I had brought it because I texted my sisters on the drive over. But he was already out of sight. So I asked one of the people in the computer lab to borrow a cell and called him, but he didn't pick up. So I tried using the GAC phone to call, but that failed, so I used that to call my cousins and Travis tried calling my dad for me. That also failed. Dad didn't check his phone until he was in Owatonna, which meant he was too far to just turn around and drive it back to me. Which means I don't have my phone and my computer is busted AND I can't get my computer fixed without getting my phone back! Evil cycle of evilness.

So yea. After that drama I took a nice long nap to try to make up for the two hours of horrible sleep I got that night. Woke up and got ready to go to dinner with Sybylla and Sarah, went to dinner, came back and got online in the computer lab for a little while. Went back to the room and read until it was time to go to the outdoor movie. That's right, on the most randomly freezing day of May the weekend movie was showing outside. So we put on layer after layer and grabbed all of our blankets and headed over to the rugby pitch behind Southwest to watch He's just not that into you with Sarah, Emilirose, and Vicki. It was a pretty funny movie with a lot of familiar actors, plus free popcorn and cotton candy, but it was freeeeeeeeeeezing. I couldn't feel my toes by the end of it. Came back to PV afterwards and took a nice long hot shower. That felt better. Finished reading Eragon after that and went to sleep.

Woke up today around 1pm. Since Sybylla's mom was coming in about 45 minutes I cleaned up my crap a bit; took out my garbage and the recycling and made my bed. Then headed into the computer lab to check my email and see what the plan was for phone retrieval. Talked to people online, checked my email, and now just updating this.

What was I doing last year?

So I still have no plans for this summer or the rest of my life. But the past was pretty wicked cool...

1 comment:

Javier Portillo said...

hey kat, sorry to hear your lappy broke :( and especially now since i got myself that desktop i was talkin to you about last time we talked. 430.84 outta my wallet so its pretty empty now but im gettin payed in two days. so idont feel that bad...I hope you get your computer fixed soon i havn't heard from yeh in a bit. and its nice to read wut your up to.
Hope your doing fine and atleast having some fun. ttyl and take care!