Tuesday, February 10, 2009

internet woes

So I managed to recover most of my missing objects on Sunday, thanks to Tanner's family and the Koenigs. Tanner's family drove it from Rochester to Mankato, where my wonderful aunt and uncle picked it up and gave it to me.

Backtracking a bit. Saturday was a bit dull, since I didn't have any communication means other than in the computer lab and the Bookmark and the Post Office were closed (so I couldn't even pick up my books).

On Sunday I got my books from the Bookmark and then I headed into St. Peter to buy some shampoo and conditioner. It was a nice day out but all the melting snow makes everything look nasty, brown, and soggy. But I took pictures documenting my walk down and up the GAC hill. Once I got back to Prairie View I checked my email and got online in the lab and got frantic messages from my parents to call Ben (cousin) because he wanted to go snowboarding (while I ski). So I tried to call him (he has a Mankato number so my dorm phone should have worked) but of course now the dorm phones wouldn't even make the local calls. So after some frantic running back and forth between the computer lab and my room I finally got the plans set and headed out to Mount Kato for some good skiing. It was fun and my fear of the Black Diamonds was overcome after about 2 runs. Literally, third run I went down in over a year was a Black Diamond. It was quite fun, but since my skis are still at home (they wouldn't fit in Tanner's car) I was forced to wear rentals which killed my calves after awhile. Finally came back to GAC, fed Ben at the Caf and got to see my roomie. We watched a movie together (the Brothers Grimm) and then went to bed early (around 1am). Didn't get to sleep until after some interesting conversation, topics including livestock birthing stories, but eventually went to sleep.

Got up early (9am) and headed to the PO to pick up my books, then over to get some breakfast at the Caf (I didn't even know they had breakfast!). Then headed to my TA meeting (hooray for cyanobacteria) and then work. Badminton was a let down (just handed out the syllabus and left) and then Evolutionary Biology was interesting but we started right into it. It's the first Bio class in awhile where I'll have to actually try to furiously write down everything because the prof won't post the powerpoints online. Makes it hard to know what's important enough to write down. After that I actually had to be a TA at a lab. One of my freshman buddies from sculpture is in the class and the prof is really cool but I felt sort of strange. They all asked me for help occasionally and I felt like I should have known a lot more than I did (although occasionally I was actually helpful). In the middle I had to leave to go to the generic "Right to Know, Safety etc" meeting and during that time one of the freshmen almost lit himself on fire. I wish I had been there...

So after the lab and after dinner I took my baby (laptop) over to the GAC IT place in Olin and asked them (politely) to fix the broken internet. They tried, and tried, and tried again and couldn't. Eventually the nice student working with me told me to try to bring it in during the day so a full-time staff member could try working on it because he couldn't figure it out.

Which brings me to today. After my fun Women and the Holocaust class and a quick lunch with Syb, Sarah, and Vicki, I took my baby back to GAC IT and again politely asked them to fix it. They tried different things this time but ran out of time (an hour later) and I had to go to class. But can I leave it with them to fix it? Nope. So I went to my Intro to Interactive Media class (which is going to be really awesome as long as the prof slows down a bit during her demonstrations) and then came right back here. I fear that Olin will become a familiar building to me, but I'm hopeful that someone here will figure out what's wrong and finally be able to fix it.

I just heard my laptop make a not-so-good noise (there's a student working on it next to me).

Sigh, my poor baby. It was fine in Rochester... stupid GAC wireless...

This is probably one of my crappiest posts ever, but I've decided to blame it on the fact that I'm currently forced to be on a Mac...

Back to reading about War & Genocide, wish my computer luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*wishes your lappy luck* wussup kitty. sad to hear about ur lappy...but hey atleast wireless cards (if broken) arn't that expensive....i have to replace everything on mine...sigh. but i hope urs is just a minor problem , and hope ur havin fun. :D
-javi