Monday, August 4, 2008

Gramma's house

Wow so I totally fail at keeping tabs of my life. Suffice it to say, not much has actually been going on. I worked a straight 19 days in a row - either at Mayo or Culver's, and had my first 2 days off this past weekend. We (Megan, Sara, and I) got up early on Saturday morning and headed down to my gramma's house in Waterloo, IA. Was about a 2 1/2 hour drive, Megan drove the first half and I drove the rest of the way. Then we stopped at her house for awhile and dumped our stuff and changed into swimsuits. Got back in the car and drove over to the waterpark there and spent the day waiting in lines and riding waterslides and floating on the lazy river and in the wave pool. It was pretty fun - beautiful day outside, perfect for the waterpark. Granted, a lot of people had the same idea so it was packed and there was a shortage of tubes for the wave pool. Some people were saving some tubes on the side and not even using them - they really ticked me off. But eventually we got some and floated in there for a few rounds of waves. At about 5:30pm we left and headed back to gramma's, showered, ate dinner (with gramma and her boyfriend Bernie... bit strange), and then went out with gramma to see Mamma Mia!!! at the cinema. Was a pretty cute movie - but Pierce Brosnan isn't the best singer. That was a pretty fun day.

Sunday morning we woke up and got ready for church... yea... So we went to church which was alright. After church we went back to gramma's and watched a bit of TV and then played "Crazy Bridge" in cards. We had to leave at 2:30pm because Sara had to work at 5:30. So Megan drove the entire way home - some parts were a bit nerve wracking (like when she was passing cars going 75 mph). Anyway, we stopped at a gas station on the way home to fill up and almost thought the Jeep wasn't going to start up again - had to try it a couple of times to get it running but luckily it started up. Got home and saw mom's scrapbook of Australia - it looks pretty good. Makes me want to finish my Europe one and start an Australia one, but I'm just too slow and perfectionisty to be efficient about it. So I started going through my college stuff, throwing tons of old papers and crap that I just don't need anymore and then went to bed.

Today I worked but it was ridiculously slow. Literally I just squirted some stuff into cells (took 5 minutes) and then didn't do anything else. We did have a lab meeting in the morning but it was semi-cancelled because the head of the department had another meeting to go to, so Gini, Tobias and I used the time to figure out what we were going to do this week (because all our experiments from last week failed... again). So we got a game plan, stimulated the cells, and then did nothing. So from 10:30-12:30 I listened to Gini tell me how she chose what college to go to and how she met her husband and etc. It was pretty interesting, but by 11:45 am I was just hungry and wanted to go get lunch. So ate lunch... came back and sat around until 2pm. Then we went up to the microscope place to look at/take more pictures of the cells and that's always a little fun. Got back down to the lab at 3pm and Gini showed me how to access the pictures so I spent an hour picking out good ones and emailing them to myself! Awesome... I'll try to put one in here if I can figure it out (otherwise I put some on my facebook page, because I'm that cool). Here we go :
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2040912&l=1ee89&id=52902432
That should work! Anyway, just got back from work and jumped online to see if Michael was on to wish him a good trip to Armenia, but of course he isn't so instead I updated my blog! Now I'm going to either take a nap or continue reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

No comments: